Part I: Beginning

June 12, 2012.

Note: All foods highlighted in red are unsafe for those with fructose malabsorption.

The day this all started, and a day I will never forget.

It all started during my eleventh birthday party. Everything goes great, right? They came to my house, we had ice cream cake, opened presents, played games – whatever. It was a sleepover, pretty typical of my friends and I. The next day, we all decided to go to this restaurant called Famous Dave’s. Heard of it? If you haven’t, it’s a fast food place, known for fried chicken. I ordered barbecued chicken and pop.

Before you read this next part, I’ll just give you a quick fact: A can of pop has 25g of fructose, half of what an average person needs to feel sick. If you have fructose malabsorption, that very same can of pop can give you extreme symptoms only about a fourth of the way through.

I was drinking the pop, waiting for the chicken, when suddenly I felt very nauseous. I stopped and looked at the others, who were perfectly fine. I threw the pop away and we left with our meals. The others kept saying how hungry they were, when suddenly I told my mom to stop the car. We stopped outside a park and I tried to go to the bathroom. It didn’t work. I got back in the car. We drove home and I watched the others eat while trying to make myself hungry.

That obviously didn’t work, either. We eventually went outside and drew with chalk. I tried going to the bathroom three times. I went once. I felt a little better. So I went back outside and they all had to go too, which, looking back, was pretty ironic. They all felt fine afterwards, though. One of my friends said that I probably just had to go to the bathroom. So I waited. I got a little hungry an hour or two later, and I ate a few bites of chicken and some water, but got a stomach ache. I decided to lay down on my bed.

My friends all left early, and my mom gave me Pepto Bismol (note: do not take if you’re under 13) while I decided to take a nap. When I woke up, I still didn’t feel better, so I moved to the couch and went off/on watching television. That night I went to bed praying I would feel better, pretty sure I would.


About jadiss55

My name is Natalya. I absolutely love volleyball, writing, and singing. My family and friends are extremely special to me.
This entry was posted in Fructose Malabsorption, My Story. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s